Tuesday, November 27, 2012

One last day in Slov

My last day in Slovenia started off at such great heights. Literally.

As a special surprise for me, Mat had organized a flight over the Slovenian Alps in a little 4 seat passenger plane with his pilot friend Blaž driving. I was so nervous that my parents would kill me for flying with a new flyer, but I've broken the news to them (figured it'd be best not to do so in a public blog post), and I haven't been disowned, so that's good.
Our little plane!
Look at me! Such a boss!




















Other than the worry for my life upon arriving in Vancouver, the trip "up in the air", as Mat kept calling it, was so awesome. Amazing views of the luscious Slovenian scenery that I never would have seen otherwise. My favourite views were when we flew over Lake Bled, with the sun sparkling over the water.
Flying over the "Slovenian Alps"!

Slovenia's highest peak.  We gave those mountain climbers a little wave with our wings.

Beautiful blues and greens

Lake Bled

After our flight, which was just under an hour, we drove to Lake Bled at ground level, and had the famous regional treat-invention of Kremčnita- literally translated as "cream slices". Basically two papery thing pastry layers with a big thick custard layer and a slightly less thick whipped cream layer tucked between, all dusted with icing sugar. Oh em gee. So yummy. And the beautiful lake backdrop only made it better.

SO GOOD
Me and Mat at the cafe













Blaž had joined us for dessert, but left shortly after, and then it was just me as the Mali brothers (Jakob had joined us for the flight). We spent our afternoon strolling along the lake shore, which was beautiful in the sunlight, surrounded by mountains, a quaint little island in the centre and ducks quacking all over the place. Really pleasant. Pleasant is the perfect adjective for that part of the afternoon.

Kathaumixw 2010
A recreation of the photo that started our friendship <3
 Back in Domžale, Jakob suggested we play in the yard with Mat's bow and arrows. In a splash of luck, coincidence and hilarity, I got a bullseye shot. To prove it was a fluke, Mat set an apple from a nearby tree on top of the target and bid me to hit it if I was so good. And I did. And then died laughing. The boys were both impressed, and I'd wager a little bit perturbed.
Just call me William Tell

After our dabble with archery we were joined by Mat's musical friend Neže (a classical guitar student at the Mozarteum in Salzburg) for lunch. Blaženka had made the kneudel soup again, salad from the garden, and a main course of cabbage, Brussels sprouts, fried potatoes, and a breaded meat dish that she made with sesame seeds instead for my portion, which was so thoughtful of her!! Home cooked meals man. So good.

After dinner, Mat's parents went out, Jakob went upstairs to study, and Nat, Neže and I had some homemade tea and watched a video of a community star production Mat had starred in a couple years ago (the same summer we met at Kathaumixw, actually). It was sort of an epic, telling the story of how the salvo people's conquered the Romans. I got a sweet live English translation and quite enjoyed the play.

Later that night, after Neže had gone home to practice, Mat and I drove to te medieval town of Kamnik for a night walk. We climbed a hill to an old old castle, sat on the ledge and gazed out over the city, listened to the church bells to every quarter hour, and talked about life. It was such a nice way to wrap up my weekend.

On the drive back home Mat showed me a couple more sights, and then I said goodbye to his family, who would be gone to work/school when Mat and I woke in the morning. It was really great getting to stay with such a kind and friendly family. Made me miss home a little bit less!

The next morning Mat drove me to the airport, where I had to kill about 4 hours thanks to a delayed flight. Easyjet. You suck. It meant I had to forgo my original London plans, but also that I made some fun other ones. More on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment